Oh, Karl The Fog!
My Experience With Foggy San Francisco Engagement Shoots:
Kevin and Courtney are so stinking cute despite the weather conditions! The wind chilled you to the bone, and the fog was thick, but these two were game for all of it! They wanted the mysterious, moody & sexy bay area fog. We ended at Twin Peaks thinking maybe, just maybe, we’d get above the fog. We found ourselves even colder and deeper in the fog bank, but we managed to get one of the most beautiful shots of the day! So, never say never and just roll with it. (Yes, that was a fog pun.)
For The Couple:
- What should you wear?
- What to wear? Dresses that flow with the wind can be whimsical! Or for the groom or grooms perhaps a brightly colored scarf. Or go bold with color! Rich, vibrant colors that contrast against the fog looks amazing! You both want to be the standout, not the fog. (Sorry, Karl!)
- If you have long hair it can be beautiful blowing in the wind (à la Pochahontis) but you might also want the option to have it up and out of your face. Totally up to you boo!
- I prefer shooting in the woods or on the coast where you can really feel the expanse of the outdoor space. If it’s thick fog, it feels more dreamlike to see the treetops or the coastline disappear into nothing.
For The Photographers:
- Check the front of your lens for condensation and wipe if necessary. (Always bring a spare lens wipe!)
- If you are holding your camera without a tripod, increase the ISO speed in order to use a faster shutter speed.
- Try fog scenes/setting at night and include some lights for mood.
- Consider converting some of your fog images into black & white or tone them blue.
- Often in windy situations, there are lots of beautiful candid moments that happen when you’re not paying attention. So, pay attention to those moments…hair being brushed out of someones face, keeping each other warm, helping each other up or down or over something, moments of pure joy & laughter when something goes terribly wrong because of the wind. The list is endless for sincere moments like those!
- Bring extra layers. That should just be a given in the bay area, but it doesn’t hurt to remind you!